Students in the classroom.

Credit Transfer and Credit by Exam

Transfer of Credit

Transfer of college credit to Hillsdale can be made only on an official transcript from another regionally accredited American collegiate institution. Regional accreditation must be through one of the following accrediting bodies in order to be recognized: Middle States Association, New England Association, North Central Association, Northwest Association, Southern Association, and Western Association. Grades below “C-” will not be transferred for credit. Grades for courses transferred from other institutions are not factored into a student’s cumulative grade-point average at Hillsdale College.

College credits earned at Hillsdale College are generally accepted at other colleges and universities, subject to official evaluation. Grades below “C-” are not accepted in transfer. Requests for an official transcript of grades should be addressed to the Registrar of the College.

Any student transferring from another institution must establish a satisfactory grade-point average at the end of his first semester as determined by the category into which the total amount of his transfer credit has placed him. Failure to do so will result in probationary status.

Credit by Exam (AP, CLEP, and IB)

Hillsdale College recognizes the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Students taking college-level courses in secondary school and performing at a satisfactory level (4 or 5) on the Advanced Placement Examinations will be granted advanced placement and college credit. Please check with a high school guidance counselor for the dates of these examinations.  The International Baccalaureate Program is also recognized.

Hillsdale College also recognizes the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Entrance Examination Board. CLEP is available to students seeking credit on the basis of experience rather than formal study. Not all available CLEP tests are accepted for credit by Hillsdale College.

If a student has more than four hours of Advanced Placement credit in French, German, or Spanish, or if a student has transferred and is expected to transfer more than four hours of French, German, or Spanish credit from another institution, said student is not eligible to take the CLEP exam in the corresponding foreign language for credit.

Download AP PolicyDownload CLEP PolicyDownload IB Policy